Your Carfty Girl Header

. .

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Mason Jar / Heart Door Hanging







So when my sweetheart brings me home flowers one of my favorite things to do is to put them in my mason jar/ heart door hanger. They just welcome me home. Even when I don't have flowers or right now it's so cold outside here in Utah my fresh flowers would freeze. So I put in some fake flowers. Either way this is a great easy project. We did it for our Church Craft Day so for those of you who were not able to come, but wanted to know how to make it here is a step by step tutorial.

Note: In this tutorial I will also teach how to get that aged look by using Vaseline when painting the heart. You don't have to do that you can just paint the heart one color and skip to step five. Also, I will post another tutorial on how to make the bow so this post isn't so long.

Let's get started...

What you will need:

  • Wood heart (This one was cut out of wood thank you Tina Sillito, but you can find something similar at a craft store)
  • Quart Mason Jar
  • Wire Hanger
  • Paint (I used craft paint: American-Burnt Umber for the base coat and FolkArt-Jamaican Sea for the top coat)
  • Foam bush
  • Vaseline
  • Sandpaper
  • Ribbon


To Make:

First. Paint the heart. Like I said I will be showing you how to get the aged paint look. So first paint your base coat. I used American-Burnt Umber aka. brown.


Second. When the base coat is dry rub some Vaseline on your project with your fingers where you want the base coat to show through the top coat.


For this project I rub some on the sides and two spots on the front of the heart. Hopefully you can see where I put the Vaseline in the following picture.


Third. Paint on your top coat. I used FolkArt-Jamaican sea which is a pretty turquoise color.


Fourth. When the top coat is dry use your finger nail to scrape off the top coat where you applied Vaseline.


This is what it will look like after you scrape the paint off which is nice but we will take a step further...


Use some sandpaper to scrape up the top coat some more to give your project a beautiful aged looked. Generally you like to go along the edges, but there is no wrong way to do it cause the more you sand  the older and worn your project looks.


See how pretty it looks now.


Fifth. Now to attach the mason jar to the heart. Take the wire hanger and untwist it and use it to wrap around the mouth of your jar.




Sixth. On the heart there are four holes drilled. One set of holes are towards the edge of the heart and one set is lower and closer together. Feed the two ends of the wire hanger through the lower set of holes.


Seventh. On the back of the heart bend the wire up towards the other set of holes and feed the wire through them.



Eighth. Bend the wire up and twist it on itself to make a hoop to hang up your heart.


Ninth. Add a bow to the top of the wire. Like I said I will do another tutorial on how to make the bow. Then add flowers and hang and enjoy.




Hope you have fun with this project let me Know how goes and leave a comment.
  

Image Map




29 comments:

  1. I just shared a link to this with one of my work friends, and I have a variation of it in mind for my front door. If I ever get around to making it, I will let you know how it turns out! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing and I can't wait to see what you make? you should do a book with a mason jar. so cut and so you but you will have to drill into a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice compliments your heart, you're bravissima.Ti gladly look in my blog greetings. Virginia's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! So fresh and fun. It looks fantastic hanging on your door. I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a darling project!!! going to pin this to make!! love your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Zefi. Checked out your blog, it's so cute can't wait to see what you post next.

      Delete
  7. What a cute, cute idea!!! Hi! I'm visiting from The Home Girl's Festive Friday Fiesta. I always wondered how to get that 2-toned look. I'm not good at craft-work of any kind (seriously...I'm pitiful!), but I certainly admire the work of others who are gifted in that area. I'm going to use this technique to "rough up" a couple of existing items in our home. Have a good weekend! P.S. - It's wonderful that your husband brings you flowers! Good man! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alycia, you are more crafty then you think. I wish I had your talent when it came to tablescapes you are wonderful!

      Delete
  8. What a fun way to display flowers! It's so pretty and I love the heart backdrop. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie, I can't wait to try your Parmesan artichoke dip.

      Delete
  9. This is so cute and it looks easy to make too! Such a great idea!

    Thank you so much for linking this up to the FESTIVE FRIDAY FIESTA Link Party!!! Hope you'll come back next week and link up some more of your great ideas and check for the features from this past link party!!!

    Hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting, loved everyone's links and can't wait to see next weeks.

      Delete
  10. Oh my! Thar is so super adorable. I love mason jars, I love that color (!) and tulips...... perfect combination of the three! You are so talented!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystelle. Your blog has great ideas. thanks for visiting and sharing.

      Delete
  11. Great tutorial and what a cute idea! I love this, thanks for giving us the step by step! Visiting from Friday Fiesta!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! Love this idea! I found you on Suburbs Mama link party!
    Selene @ Restoration Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute! Thanks for the tutorial. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! Great job!
    Jess
    http://organasms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea, love it............Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I have an excess of mason jars around my home and I think this would be a great way to use some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I am totally in love with anything Mason Jars =) Thanks for sharing at the Rain on a Tin Roof Party! PINNED

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just so adorable! And I love the color you chose for the heart! Thanks for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday! Can't wait to see what goods you bring next week! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just did a variation of this...couldn't have done it without the original idea, I would have NEVER thought of that...I love it! I just used an 8x8 square board that I found at Michael's and made the holes towards one of the corners (so it hangs in a diamond like shape). I used a smaller mason jar because I couldn't get the larger one to lay flat. There was a LOT of extra room at the bottom of the board so I used a stencil and added a gorgeous flower border. I skipped on the ribbon because my hanger wasn't quite long enough with the way I did it, but it still looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see how it came out, sounds cute.

      Delete